Back to Nevis/Day 1 of Med 4

August 31, 2011

Whew, been a busy week.

When last we spoke, I was getting ready to enjoy my week of relaxing at home.  I caught up on sleep and TV and it was marvelous.  I managed to visit friends and get some necessity shopping done.  We had come home from dinner Friday night to find an unsettling voicemail; my Sunday morning flight from Charlotte to Miami had been canceled because of hurricane Irene.  I was supposed to call them back and reschedule.  In my experience, when your flight is messed up because of the airline, my friends have gotten some pretty cushy amenities like free airline vouchers and free hotels, so I thought this whole rescheduling business would be cake.  Bahahaha.  How little did I know.

I called the number my airline had left, pressed 1 for domestic because my flight from Miami to St. Kitts was fine; it was my flight from Charlotte to Miami that was canceled.  Mistake.  After 10 minutes when my call was answered, the lady looked up my reservations, found out I was ultimately traveling internationally, and transferred me.   She didn’t say where she was transferring me to, and I still don’t know; I stayed on hold for 30 minutes, hung up, and called back only to press 2 this time for international flights.  My call was answered in about 20 minutes.  I gave the new lady my information and she looked up options for me and said that she wouldn’t be able to get me back to the island until after labor day.  I was astonished.  After some haggling and her wanting to unnecessarily send me through Puerto Rico, we collectively decided that if I caught a Sunday morning Greensboro flight instead, I’d still make it to Miami to catch the flight to St. Kitts in time.

So Saturday was rushed.  Even though the change in airport actually gave us more time, my parents were still upset at the last-minute change and hurriedly rushed my packing and were generally grumbly the rest of the evening.  I managed to get everything packed in two suitcases, underweight, and off to Greensboro we headed.  We made good time and were surprised by the airport.  It had all the amenities of CLT but it was quiet, clean, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.  What a great place to fly out of!  We decided that I would see if flights in and out of Greensboro were possible on future occasions.

I ran into classmates in Miami and we walked around for a bit until it was time to board our flight.  It was pretty uneventful.  The flight was late, imagine that, but somehow we made up the time in the air so we arrived on St. Kitts right at 2:00.  No problems with immigration, though they were going through almost all of the bags at Customs so the line was ridiculous.  We managed to catch a taxi to the 3:00 Sea Bridge to Nevis and my mechanic was waiting there with my jeep.  We got all the friends home, showered, then met up for dinner at Indian Summer, followed by drinks at Rumours, before early bed at 9 from exhaustion.

Monday ended up being quite an adventure.  Got together with some friends to run errands before school started–had to get gas, go to the ATM, go to the grocery store [in town], etc. but the first stop was at school to pick up the fall parking pass and gym pass.  Ugh, neither were ready but we did get a chance to sign our registration papers.  As we were walking back to the car, we ran into Dr. M, one of our deans, who asked us if we would come upstairs.  We explained that we had to go to town, but he really needed our help, so we obliged.  We met a couple more friends upstairs who were waiting to go in and speak to the new class about the Mentor program.  We were included in this discussion, which followed with a tour and lunch.   Sweaty and overheated, we ended about an hour later and rode to town to complete our errands.  We had to hurry back home to shower and get ready for the Mentor dinner at 5:00.  We packed Indian Summer and had a blast getting to know the new students from orientation.

The next day was yesterday, the first day of class.  It was very nice not having class until 11:00 and I came into class early with an optimistic hope for the semester.  Don’t want to sound like a negative Nancy, but I was soon disappointed.  First class was PD.  We’d heard about the prof from other profs and were excited, but then our first lecture was really odd.  The prof stood up and lectured through the first introductory lecture; it was pretty cut and dry.  He cracked a few subtle jokes but…hmm…just not what I was expecting based off of what the other profs had told us about him; it’s like they were describing a different person.  Maybe it will get better.  Next was an hour lunch break, followed by 2 hours of path.  The first hour was an introduction and overview by the course director which was informative however not the most exciting lecture.  The next hour was an introductory path lecture by a new prof who was very nervous.  It was pretty bad.  This started to make me nervous–I looked at the schedule and it seems we will have this prof for most of the first block.  Eek.  Maybe it will get better when he gets less nervous?  Immediately following path was 2 hours of pharm.  We dove straight in.  The prof was so into the material that we ended up not getting a break and leaving 20 minutes early.  The material was interesting but again, the lectures just were not engaging.  It was better than path but overall, the semester leaves me wanting more interactive lectures.  I’m so used to sitting in class, paying attention to lecture and having the profs ask me questions that keep me engaged and forced to pay attention and focus on the material.   I’m worried that this semester will be a lot of reading on my own and teaching myself–starting to feel like physio and you all know how I felt about that class.

Also–I think many of us wish the schedule was different.  PD seems to be our “easy” class of the semester and it’s early in the morning, while the afternoons are brutal with 4 straight hours of lackluster lectures talking AT us.  Glad I brought Red Bull.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: